Key Lime Mini Cakes
Key Lime Mini Cakes are a party in a cup! The perfect key lime flavor, not too strong but just right!
My neighbor had surgery the other day and I have the opportunity to take dinner to them. It’s a great way for me to do service but also to try out a new recipe. Nothing says you care like food!
My go to meal is my Lasagna because it’s easy to make, delicious but seems to be a dish that even kids love. It doesn’t seem like a complete meal without dessert! right!?!
I’m all about Summer ingredients and my family is in love Key Lime Pie, and so I guess I think everyone else must be in love with it too. It seemed to be the natural conclusion.
This recipe will take you to church! It’s that good!
TIPS AND TRICKS
CREAM CHEESE: Use whatever cream cheese you have in the fridge but let me encourage you to purchase whip cream cheese. It blends so much better than the block. Also, if you want, use the lower calorie. I can’t tell the difference.
CUPCAKE: Homemade is always is better, right? I agree, unless you don’t have time. If time is an issue, grab some cupcakes or pound cake from the store, get rid of the icing and they will work great!
MAKE AHEAD: You can make these the night before and they will be fabulous!
CITRUS: Don’t love lime? Go ahead and use lemon or oranges. It will work in this recipe.
Key Lime Mini Cakes
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or plain yogurt room temperature
- FOR THE LIME SYRUP:
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tsp. grated lime zest, plus 1/4 cup lime juice
- FOR THE LIME FILLING:
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 8-ounce whipped cream cheese
- 2 tsp. grated lime zest, plus 1/2 cup lime juice, plus 12 thin lime slices, for garnish
- 1 10-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 ̊. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on high speed until fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for a few more seconds. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla, buttermilk and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture and mix for a few seconds on medium speed after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then mix a final time.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan on a rack, then remove the cupcakes to the rack to cool completely. Remove the wrappers.
- For the lime syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the lime zest and juice and let cool completely.
- For the lime filling: Beat the heavy cream with 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl and with a mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside. Put the cream cheese, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the lime zest in a separate bowl and beat with the mixer on medium speed until smooth and light, about 2 minutes. Add the condensed milk and lime juice and beat on low speed just until smooth. Fold in half of the whipped cream.
- To assemble, slice the cupcakes in half horizontally and place a bottom piece in each of twelve 8-ounce mason jars. Spoon half the lime syrup over the cakes. Spoon the lime filling into the jars and top with the remaining cupcake pieces. Spoon the remaining syrup over the cakes. Top with the remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Garnish with the lime slices and zest before serving.
Did you try our Key Lime Mini Cakes recipe? What did you think? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
LET’S HEAR IT FOR SUMMER
Do you want to take your Banana bread to a higher level? This moist pineapple banana bread has the yummy base that we all know and love but the pineapple will make you crave it even more! Perfect for breakfast, dessert or a after school snack!
Well Hello Beautiful! This delicious but light dessert is made up of creamy vanilla pudding, bananas and Nilla wafers! This is the recipe the famous Magnolia Bakery uses. This is lip smacking good and will become everyone’s favorite!
Raspberry Lemonade is the combination of sweet and tart! What a great way to beat the Summer heat!
7 thoughts on “Key Lime Mini Cakes”
Girls these look fantastic and so refreshing! I’m happy to be featuring your recipe at this week’s link party!
Enjoy the rest of your week and Happy Mother’s Day!
Oh these look delightful! What a pretty and fun treat to make for a party…love the idea of mini cake trifles…such a perfect summer treat 😀
Yum, so delicious looking and cute! I’ll be featuring this post at Thursday Favorite Things today, starting at 10:00 a.m. CST 🙂
Just pinned your feature to our Features Board, for Full Plate Thursday. Thanks so much for sharing with us and come back to see us!