This easy Nacho Casserole is what mom dreams are made of! Throw it together in minutes, bake and enjoy in less than 30 minutes!
I have had bronchitis this past weekend and so there was a lot of watching of the Food Network! lol! It’s a great place to get inspiration! I caught the last part of the Pioneer Woman’s show and she was making a version of this casserole. My husband got a little excited and I realized this would be perfect since school is starting!
VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONS
- The recipe calls for Doritos but if you don’t have any on hand, you can use any chip that you would like. It’s all about the crunch!
- If you don’t want to use hamburger, you can use shredded chicken, or ground turkey.
- You can add corn or a dice green pepper to spice it up!
- If you want a little kick, add diced jalapenos.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can black beans, drained
- Half of a 15-ounce bag nacho cheese-flavored chips, such as Doritos
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vegetable oil and flour. Cook, whisking, until it begins to bubble; let it bubble for 1 minute. Pour in the enchilada sauce, salsa, chicken broth, cumin and some salt and pepper. Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer while you prepare the meat.
- Meat: Brown the ground beef with the garlic and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain the fat and stir in the beans, cumin and salt to combine. Stir the meat into the simmering sauce and shut off the heat.
- Casserole: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Break up the chips by crushing the bag slightly with your hands. Make sure not to over crush the chips; you're looking for pieces, not crumbs. Mix together the cheeses in a medium bowl.
- Pour the broken chips in the prepared baking dish. Top with a quarter of the beef mixture and 2/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat, adding another layer of chips, beef mix and cheese. Finish by adding the remaining chips to the top of the casserole. Top with 2/3 cup cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until bubbly, another 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the toppings: Top the cooked casserole with the shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream and sliced black olives and green onions before serving.
Did you try our Nacho Casserole recipe? What did you think? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
CASSEROLE RECIPES THAT YOU WILL LOVE!
Are you looking for a weeknight dinner that is full of delicious flavor? Well, you found it! Crack Chicken Casserole is a dish that the whole family will fall in love with! It’s the best chicken dish around!
Cowboy Casserole is a delicious and simple to casserole to cook! This tater tot casserole is packed with ground beef, beans, cheese, tomatoes, and corn. Your family ask for this every week!
Amish Country Casserole equals comfort food!! Hamburger, Tomato soup, cream of mushroom, onion, garlic, milk, Worcestershire sauce, pasta and parmesan cheese. Makes this the perfect combination for a successful dinner.
Bubble Up Enchilada casserole is full of deliciousness and comes together in one pan an easy and delicious family dinner.