Cowboy Casserole is a delicious and simple to casserole to cook! This tater tot casserole is packed with ground beef, beans, cheese, tomatoes, and corn. Your family ask for this every week!
We love tater tot casseroles at Lou Lou Girls! A great dinner option to feed a family! Just like my classic Tater Tot Hamburger Casserole, Cowboy Casserole comes together quickly, with ingredients from the pantry, into a meal .
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- We all love cooking delicious dinners with ground beef. It’s an easy and inexpensive and something kids will say yes to. This recipe is budget friendly and time saver.
- In this recipe we will be using sour cream to give this tater tot casserole with ground beef the creamy texture, no condensed soup like so many other recipes.
- One casserole pan has meat, potatoes, and veggies all in one dish. This means less dishes, and no side dishes unless you want to add one.
- This casserole is a perfect freezer meal. You can make two of them. Eat one tonight and freeze the other one for a different night.
SUBSISTUTIONS FOR COWBOY CASSEROLE
- You can add frozen veggies or array of canned veggies. Layer them on top of the beef but below the cheese. Make sure to add an additional 10 minutes of cooking time to allow the frozen vegetables to cook through.
- The casserole works with just about any type of meat. Try using ground turkey, chicken, Italian pork sausage or even crumbled extra firm tofu. You could even use slices of leftover roast or steak.
- If you really want to change it up, flavor the ground beef with a packet of Taco Seasoning. Add beans and canned chilies or jalapeños to the layers and top with salsa or a can of rotel and add an additional 10 minutes to the cooking time.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) bottle salsa, I used mild but if you love heat, take it up a notch
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (32-ounce) bag tater tots
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat 350°F. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
Heat vegetable oil (2 tablespoons) in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion , stirring frequently, until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, stirring constantly, and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef, continue to cook, crumbling with a spoon until there is no longer any pink. Drain excess fat from skillet.
Sprinkle beef with chili powder, cumin , oregano , salt , pepper, and brown sugar . Continue to cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the spices become fragrant.
Stir in black beans, pinto beans, salsa , green chiles , sour cream, 1 cup of cheddar, and hot sauce. Cook until the liquid thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Mix in frozen corn, then pour it into the prepared baking dish.
Arrange a single layer of tater tots over the beef mixture. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, remove and discard aluminum foil, and sprinkle cheese (1 cup) evenly over tater tots. Return to oven for 20 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly around the edges. Allow to cool slightly then serve.
Did you try our Cowboy Casserole? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below or tag us on Instagram!!
LOVE CASSEROLES? HERE YOU GO!!
Amish Country Casserole – comfort food at its best!! Hamburger, Tomato soup, cream of mushroom, onion, garlic, milk, Worcestershire sauce, pasta and parmesan cheese. SO simple and tastes amazing! Everyone cleaned their plate!!! Makes a great freezer meal for an easy weeknight dinner.
This creamy, delicious Easy Garlic Bread Chicken Pot Pie is quick and simple to make. This classic recipe is filled with vegetables, but the twist is the garlic bread topping. Bonus, it’s ready in just 30 minutes. This comforting, savory meal is one the whole family will enjoy!
This Mexican Bubble Up Enchilada casserole is full of flavor and comes together quickly for an easy and delicious weeknight dinner.
1 thought on “Easy Cowboy Casserole”
This looks delicious!