Dutch Oven Loaded Potatoes
Dutch Oven Loaded Potatoes are one of our family’s favorite! These potatoes are packed full of bacon, onions, and loads of cheese. The perfect side dish for BBQ’s, camping and even family dinner!
We love to Dutch Oven cook a few times every summer! It’s tradition but seriously the food tastes so much better cooked in a Dutch oven! We let our family decide what we are going to eat every time we go and this is always at the top of the list! Yes! Its taste as good as it looks!
There is something about cooking in a Dutch Oven that gives your food a little more taste and goodness. Its not hard to cook in the Dutch Oven, it just takes patience. We you haven’t tried, trust me, it will become a new family tradition.
If you do or don’t have a camping Dutch oven, it’s fine. Here are a few different ways you can make this recipe.
cast iron dutch oven over charcoal
cast iron oven over a tripod
enamel dutch oven– bake it in your oven
slow cooker– tastes great with the slow cooking method.
We have added different veggies in this in the past and it tastes great! Green peppers, carrots, or green beans would make a great options. Want a little spice? Add a jalapeno to the mix or a pinch of red pepper flakes!
We use cheddar cheese but go crazy and mix up your cheeses! It will taste amazing!
- 5 pound bag yellow potatoes, cubed
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 whole yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stick of butter, sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of cheese- we use cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Light briquettes, so they can heat up and be ready.
- Set your Dutch Oven on 10 warm briquettes and put butter on the bottom of the oven to melt.
- Add the potatoes, bacon, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir ingredients.
- Put lid on Dutch oven and place 10 briquettes on top(make sure to spread them out).
- Let the potatoes cook for about an hour. Checking every once in a while.
- When potatoes are soft, add cheese and let cook until it is melted. About 10 minutes.
Note: Depending on the weather(wind, temperature) you might have to increase or decrease the amount of briquettes that you use.
OVEN COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover with the lid and 45 to 50 minutes. Until potatoes are soft.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS: High 3 to 4 hours or low 5 to 6. Check every once inn a while because every slow cooker is so different. You want the potatoes soft but not mush!
Did you try our Dutch Oven Loaded Potatoes recipe? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
CHECK OUT THESE DUTCH OVEN RECIPES
Try this Easy Dutch Oven Teriyaki Chicken Recipe – is a one pan wonder and a perfect camping dinner or you can cook it at home. The whole family will approve!
Dutch Oven Italian Dinner! Every Summer, we love to go Dutch oven cooking as a family. We try to go somewhere close so we can get our whole family there for Sunday family dinner
Apple Pie Dump is delicious and easy. This is a dessert that both kids and adults will love, they will come back for seconds!