Dutch Oven Italian Dinner! Every Summer, we love to go dutch oven cooking as a family. We try to go somewhere close so we can get our whole family there for Sunday family dinner. We have our old standbys like; cheesy potatoes, apple pie, easy BBQ chicken, and the list goes on! So this time we wanted to try something new and that is why the dutch oven Italian dinner was born!
The best thing about dutch oven cooking is that you just throw everything in the pan and wait! I would highly recommend the dutch oven liners because they truly help the cleanup! We have prepared dutch oven meals up the canyon and even in our backyard. Great for Summer because it keeps all the heat outside and not in your house! You can make this at home and it’s great!
- 1 pound bacon, sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 8 to 10 chicken thighs and legs
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small package mushrooms
- 1 can of salsa
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Place liner in the dutch oven.
- Heat a 12" dutch oven using 20 to 22 briquettes bottom. Take the sliced bacon and add it to the hot oven and fry until brown.
- Add chicken and garlic to oven and cook, turning frequently, until the juice runs clear when you poke the chicken. Add the onions, tomatoes, red, and green bell peppers, and mushrooms. Cover and bake using 12 briquettes on bottom and 12 to 14 briquettes on top for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the salsa, balsamic vinegar, honey, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour sauce over the top.
- Cover and bake for another 15 minutes. Sprinkle cheeses over the top, replace lid and let side for 15 minutes. Make sure that cheesy goodness is completely melted.
DUTCH OVEN RECIPES