When your main dish recipe needs an OUT OF THIS WORLD side dish sidekick, there’s nothing like a creamy, garlic-infused cheesy potatoes au gratin recipe to do the job, and to do it easily too.
We love potatoes around here. We usually go with Funeral potatoes when we are making a side dish but move on over because this is a moreish delight!
Cheesy potatoes au gratin is a classic side dish that’s easy to prepare and is always a crowd-pleaser.
WHAT ARE POTATOES AU GRATIN?
Potatoes au gratin a rich and creamy potato dish made with layers of sliced potatoes baked in a creamy cheesy sauce. But wait, isn’t that also called scalloped potatoes? Well no. These are actually two similar but different dishes. The distinguishing feature that sets it apart is cheese. That’s right, scalloped potatoes do not have any cheese.
- 3 pounds yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bunch of green onions, diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot or Dutch oven; cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender about 5 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9 x 13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and green onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken stock and heavy cream. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup white cheddar cheese and mustard. Stir in potatoes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Place into oven and bake until potatoes are tender and mixture has thickened about 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 1/4 cups white cheddar cheese. Place into oven and broil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chives, if desired.
SIDE DISH RECIPES