BEST EVER FUNERAL POTATOES
Best Ever Funeral Potatoes are creamy, cheesy potatoes topped with buttery crunchy panko topping. Some people call this casserole side funeral potatoes but they are also called gooey potatoes or party potatoes.
I love cheesy potatoes! It has been a tradition at the house for a long time and when I was first married, we usually just made them for holidays, but I realized that it’s the perfect side dish for any family meal!
This recipe is known as funeral potatoes because it’s traditionally served at funerals. This is because of its ease and ability to serve a crowd. Everyone has a recipe for gooey potatoes but this is my favorite version.
1 bag hash brown potatoes
1 cube of butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (you use a different cheese)
3 cups Panko or Corn Flakes, crushed
5 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté onion with the stick of butter until the onion is soft.
- In a mixing bowl, combine soups, sour cream, salt, potatoes, and cheese.
- Add the cooked onions, butter mixture to the potato mixture. Make sure to mix well.
- Pour the ingredients into a 9×13 baking pan.
- In a skillet, on low heat, melt the 5 Tablespoons of melted butter, and add the Panko crumbs.
- Stir crumbs until they become golden brown.
- Sprinkle Crumbs over the potatoes.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the sides of the potatoes start to bubble.
SIDE DISH RECIPES