Move over mashed potatoes, make room for cheesy, creamy, scrumptious Scalloped Potatoes! This easy recipe is perfect for holiday dinners to Sunday dinner.
We had the best Easter! We celebrated Easter and my son, Zac’s, birthday! We have a special dinner for each child when it’s their birthday. We let them decide what we are eating. Zac was gone on his birthday. He was in Rome! I know, right? So much better than family dinner.
A lot of times when I ask my kids what they want, it’s something exotic, so I thought that was how Easter dinner was going to be. Zac shocked me by asking for a traditional Easter dinner. The only difference is that we usually have Funeral potatoes and he wanted scalloped potatoes. I’m so glad he did!
TIPS AND TRICKS
MEAT: This recipe doesn’t call for meat but you can add diced ham or crumbles of cooked bacon!
VEGGIES: Loving your veggies? Baby spinach is so good in this! I would rip it up a little before adding it.
POTATOES: I used red potatoes, but the Yukon gold are a delicious choice. You can also add half and half sweet potatoes and potato.
CHEESE: If you aren’t a fan of sharp cheddar, mix it up! You can use Mozzarella or a good fontina. A little sprinkle of feta would be heaven.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons flaky salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pounds Red Potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds ( I left on the skin but that's up to you)
- 2 cups freshly-grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease baking dish with cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Melt butter in sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the flour until it is evenly combined, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Gradually pour in the broth, and whisk until combined. Add in the milk, salt, and pepper, and whisk until combined. Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until the sauce just barely begins to simmer around the edges of the pan and thickens. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Top evenly with half of the cream sauce. Then sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese. Top evenly with the remaining sliced potatoes, the other half of the cream sauce, and the sharp cheddar cheese.
- Cover the pan with 27 vb and bake for 30 minutes. The sauce should be nice and bubbly around the edges. Then remove t12he foil and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Transfer the pan to a cooling rack, and sprinkle with pepper and flaky salt, parsley.
Did you try our Scalloped Potato recipe? What did you think? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
SIDE DISHES THAT YOU WILL LOVE
It’s time to get ready for Spring and Summer fun! This fruit salad with honey lime sauce is perfect for any occasion! Whether you are trying to get your family to eat healthier, BBQ party, or a bridal shower, this will make the perfect showstopper!
Are you ready to take a delicious buttermilk cornbread recipe to another level? This from scratch recipe beats it’s competition with roasted fresh corn, buttermilk, butter, and cornmeal. The cherry on top is the honey garlic sauce!
Calling all potato lovers! Cheesy, flavorful, mashed potato pillows will be your new favorite! An easy recipe that can elevate a weeknight dinner, game day food or a appetizer for your fancy party.