Skillet Chicken and Rice
Chicken and Rice is one of the most beloved comfort dinners ever! We just made it even better! We used a skillet!
Skillet Chicken and Rice
Somedays it feels like you can’t get out of the kitchen! Just when you think you have the whole family fed, someone says that they are hungry! It’s crazy!!!
The best part about this recipe is that it’s all in one pan! Less clean up or time around the hot stove. Plus, your family is going to love this!
WHAT PAN SHOULD I USE?
I love using my cast iron skillet to crisp up the chicken skin, but honestly if you don’t have one any skillet will do. I do suggest that it’s a oven safe skillet because it will be going into the oven.
MY FAMILY DOESN’T LIKE RICE, WHAT CAN I USE?
Try quinoa, millet, or probably even cauliflower rice!
HOW DO I MAKE THE SKIN CRISPY?
Heat the oil in the pan first, and let the pan get really hot. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken. If your pan isn’t hot enough, the skin will stick to the skillet. You won’t be able to get that beautiful brown color.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 to 6 bone-in, skin on chicken thigh
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium carrots (about 12 ounces), sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the broiler. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the chicken with the paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Place the chicken skin-side down in the skillet and cook undisturbed until the skin is golden but not too dark, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate using a metal spatula and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet.
- Add the carrots, celery and onion to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not yet turning golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pepper and cook just until you begin to smell the garlic, about 1 minute. Stir in the rice and cook undisturbed until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Pour in the broth, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to combine, then add the chicken thighs back to the pan, skin-side up. Bring the liquid to a boil then cover, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan and broil until the chicken skin is crispy and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives.
Did you try our Skillet Chicken and Rice? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
HERE ARE FEW MORE SKILLET RECIPES
Now you can make everyone’s favorite stroganoff in ONE POT with ground beef! No-fuss + budget-friendly with the quickest clean-up!
Store-bought tortellini are the star of this quick and creamy weeknight meal. They simmer in their own sauce, making this a one-skillet meal with easy cleanup. Try one-inch pieces of Italian sausage instead of chicken for a variation.
You love to order steak in a restaurant, but you’re too nervous to cook it at home. But with this quick and easy recipe for skillet steak with potatoes and carrots, that’s about to change.
It’s a one-pan dinner that looks (and tastes) fancy but is totally foolproof.