FRIED TOMATO BLT’S
Whether you love a good old fashion BLT or you are from the south and love your fried green tomatoes, these BLT sandwiches are a perfect dinner for any crowd!
Okay, I have a confession to make. I have never tried fried green tomatoes! I’m not from the South so it’s not a staple in my diet, but when I was watching a cooking show and they were making a delicious fried green tomato blt , I knew I could put a twist on that with a yummy, delicious red tomato!
ARE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES JUST UNRIPE?
Yes, This is a question I had since I have never had them before. They are picked off the vine before they turn red. There is always a exception to the rule and there are some heirloom varieties that remain green even when they are ripe. Make sure your tomato is firm.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR MAKING FRIED TOMATO BLT SANDWICH
- I like to use a thick cut of bacon.
- I used my 12 inch cast iron skillet. But any skillet will do for this. Just make sure it has a heavy bottom.
- You can add a little cayenne pepper for a little kick or you can be a sissy, like me, and choose not to add.
- Try your hardest to keep them the same width. (I recommend 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) Plus, if you can cut off the skin of the tomato slice, the batter will stick better.
- I used red tomatoes, because that’s what I know!
- I used cornmeal coating but you can use panko instead if you like. Either way, it’s delicious!
- Dredge all your tomatoes in the coating and place them on a baking sheet. It just makes the frying process easier because the coating will stick better.
Make sure to add tons of bacon, tons of tomatoes, and slather on the sauce. It will make you so happy!
We used a hearty Ciabatta roll for our BLT sandwich.
I can’t wait for you try this FRIED TOMATO BLT’S recipe. Savory bacon with a crunchy fried tomato, topped with butter lettuce, basil sauce and yummy bread. Tis recipe screams Summer!
FRIED TOMATO BLT'S
- Sweet Basil Mayo:
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 16 thick slices bacon
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- butter lettuce
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fried Green Tomatoes:
- 1 1/2 cup rice flour, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- pinch of salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 slices tomato, 3/4 to 1-inch thick (about 2 medium tomatoes)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- For the mayo: In a food processor, puree the basil, mayonnaise, lemon juice and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For the sandwich: Place the bacon slices in a large nonstick sauté pan set over medium heat and sauté on both sides until crispy. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate until ready to assemble the sandwich.
- For the tomatoes: In a large shallow dish, add 1/4 cup flour. In a separate baking dish, beat the egg, buttermilk, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate large shallow dish, add the remaining 3/4 cup flour, cornmeal, salt and cayenne pepper. Dredge the tomatoes in the flour, followed by the egg mixture and finally coat with the cornmeal mixture, shaking off any excess in between dredges. Place the tomatoes on a wire cooling rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat the process with all the tomatoes. Pour a 1-inch layer of vegetable oil into a cast-iron skillet. Heat the oil over high heat until it reaches 350 degrees F. Carefully add 4 tomato slices to the oil and fry until the tomatoes are golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the fried tomatoes to a baking sheet or plate lined with paper towels, season with salt and cool. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- To assemble the sandwich: Slather each slice of bread with a generous amount of the basil mayo. Top 4 of the roll sides with 4 pieces of crispy bacon, 2 fried tomatoes and top with butter lettuce. Finish by topping the sandwich off with the other slice of bread.;
Did you try our FRIED TOMATO BLT’S ? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
CHECK OUT THESE SANDWICH RECIPES
If you think all BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwich are the same, then we need to talk. Making a Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwich is easy enough and taking the same sandwich to the next level will heighten your taste buds to gold medal status.
Tender and juicy Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich makes a fantastic meal for lunch or dinner. The meat is slow cooked for hours and then served on a toasted hoagie with melted provolone. Eat with a side of broth for dipping and you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven.
This easy and comforting Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes are made in less than 30 minutes and instantly became a family favorite. The flavor combination and melted cheese makes these sloppy joes irresistible!
These pizza sliders are about to become your new favorite appetizer. Brushed with a buttery Italian seasoning glaze and filled with all of your favorite pizza toppings, each bite is truly irresistible!
10 thoughts on “FRIED TOMATO BLT’S”
this looks yummy!
Oh my – my mouth is totally watering! Thanks for the great recipe and details – I can’t wait to try this!
IT’S SO YUMMY!!!
Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Thursday Favorite Things party! I’m featuring you this week over on Shoestring Elegance! Congratulations and thanks again!
thank you so much!!!
We sure enjoyed featuring your awesome post on Full Plate Thursday, 589. Thanks so much for sharing with us and sure hope you come back again!
Wow! this is a delicious dish! I’d like to try it at home.
IT’S SO GOOD!