Chimichurri Potato Salad is full of fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil! It will make mayo haters, and people who just want something different so happy.
My family loves chimichurri! We usually eat it on steak but this is a fun little twist on your beloved potato salad! We are always looking for new variations of potato salads.
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri originated in Argentina. It can either be green or red, green seems to be more common. It’s an uncooked sauce that’s made up of finely chopped herbs, garlic, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Parsley and oregano are the traditional herbs used, however you can use whatever fresh herbs you like best. Chimichurri can be used as a marinade and is best paired with any cut of beef.
CAN I SUBSISTUTE INGREDIENTS?
- Baby potatoes: I love using baby potatoes because they are great to work with and have great flavor but go ahead and use what you have in your pantry.
- Salt and Black pepper: When seasoning, you can also use garlic or onion powder.
- Garlic: I typically use two nice-sized cloves of garlic but feel free to adjust to taste.
- Red pepper flakes: this totally optional, however it does add a lot of flavor. You could add a jalapeno instead.
- Red bell pepper: The red bell pepper adds a touch of sweetness to the salad and a lot of color.
- Red onion: Red onion is my choice but you can use a different onion, such as: green onions, shallots or a yellow onion. You can also sautéed the onions that will bring out more of the flavor which is a great combination with the salt, acid, and little bit of heat from the red pepper flakes.
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Garnish with extra fresh herbs
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup packed flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients for the chimichurri into a food processor and purée until smooth. Makes approximately 1 cup.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, add salt and cook for 5-8 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and cool.
- Cut the larger potatoes in half and place all of them in a serving bowl along with the red onion, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and desired amount of chimichurri sauce. I used approximately 1/3 cup. Toss everything together and taste for seasoning. Garnish with extra herbs and serve or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Did you try our Chimichurri Potato Salad? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
LET’S GET OUR SALAD ON! HERE ARE A FEW MORE YUMMY SALADS
The Best Bacon Pea Pasta salad is a simple summer side that everyone loves. Tender sweet peas are mixed with bacon, mozzarella pearls, and a bit of red onion for some zest. Add a simple mayonnaise-based dressing that is seasoned with a little vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simple yet perfect.
All I know is that it’s addicting!! This will become a tradition at your house too!
Italian Pasta Salad is the perfect side for any major event, party, or picnic. It’s easy to put together and everyone loves it.