Frog Eye Salad! At Thanksgiving dinner, my hubby was craving frog eye salad. Usually, my cute sister-in-law, Kim, makes it for family dinners. This year, she was having her own family dinner. I had to step up to the plate and make it for my man! I know, right? A little dramatic.
I don’t know if this is just a Utah salad or if other regions of the country enjoy this creamy goodness. I was properly introduced to this salad after I married my husband and attended one of his family celebrations. All I know is that it’s addicting!! This will become a tradition at your house too!
- 8 ounces Acini De Pepe pasta
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 22 ounces mandarin oranges, drained
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup coconut, shredded
- 8 ounces cool whip
- Prepare the Acini De Pepe pasta according to the package directions. When done, rinse in cold water and strain. Let cool completely.
- In a pan, over a medium heat, stir together pineapple juice, sugar, flour, and egg. Cook and stir constantly until the mixture thickens and is smooth. Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon juice. let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta and pineapple mixture. Gently fold in the mandarin oranges, pineapple, marshmallows, and coconut. Fold in the Cool Whip. Cover and sit in the fridge until serving.