Cornbread Chili Casserole
Cornbread Chili Casserole was the perfect dinner for me tonight! Quick and easy, took me about 20 minutes to put together and 45 min to bake.
I know, I say this every week but cooking and cleaning is hard right now. Luckily, my husband is the best and is super helpful. I don’t want him to cook though because he doesn’t clean the same way I do. We’ve been getting salads from Zupa’s and other places but I’m sick of eating out too!
Nothing sounds good, ever, so I end up not wanting to eat. When I don’t eat I get heartburn, literally the struggle is real. Honestly, pregnancy is weird and weird things happen to your body.
Dinner is something that shouldn’t take a lot of effort. Sawyer was totally into this dinner, Grey says he’s not hungry before even seeing it. He’s my picky eater, but Matt and I enjoyed this recipe. Sawyer kept saying cheese while I was taking the pictures for this post and then kept trying to eat it. For your viewing pleasure, my blue eyed boy below!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 package chili seasoning
- 2 boxes of jiffy cornbread (2 eggs and 2/3 cup milk)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and heat up. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef to the onion and saute, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain off any excess fat. Stir in the other ingredients except the cornbread batter. Once heated through, transfer the mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, smoothing into an even layer.
- In a large bowl, mix together the corn muffin mix and ingredients that the box calls for. Spread it thinly over the chili mixture. Bake until browned to top, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the casserole to set.
Did you try our Cornbread Chili Casserole? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
LOVE CASSEROLES? HERE ARE A FEW MORE RECIPES
Amish Country Casserole – comfort food at its best!! Hamburger, Tomato soup, cream of mushroom, onion, garlic, milk, Worcestershire sauce, pasta and parmesan cheese. SO simple and tastes amazing! Everyone cleaned their plate!!! Makes a great freezer meal for an easy weeknight dinner.
Sloppy Joe Casserole is an easy twist on traditional sloppy joes that’s flavorful and delicious! The crispy bun crust compliments the beefy tomato filling so well and makes for a quick and hearty weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
This Mexican Bubble Up Enchilada casserole is full of flavor and comes together quickly for an easy and delicious weeknight dinner.