HOMEMADE ONION RINGS RECIPE
Homemade Onion Rings Recipe is a golden, extra crunchy recipe and makes for the perfect appetizer or a dinner side. They will taste better than any restaurant onion ring you have ever had!
All through high school I worked at a local burger joint that made homemade onion rings. Not the frozen kind that they warm up in the deep fryer. REAL ONION RINGS! I have made them for my family through the years but the older my kids get, the more they appreciate the goodness!
I love a good juicy burger and fries. Throw in a brownie cheesecake milkshake in the mix and I’m in fast food heaven! But then the craving hits. I want onion rings and I want them now!
These onion rings are so crispy and delicious! I love to serve them with some white sauce for dipping. It’s the perfect pairing to these fried onion rings!
The kids love it when we do this because they think it’s cool that we can make this in our own kitchen. Plus, it’s so easy!!
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk (if you like the batter thinner, you can add more milk)
Oil for deep-frying
- Start warming your oil to cook.
- Cut up the onion and place in a bowl and sprinkle with a cup of flour. Mix around until the onions are covered.
- Slice onions into rings. Mix together flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and baking powder
- Stir in the milk.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Dip the onions into the batter, completely covering the onion.
- Make sure your grease isn’t too hot, after the oil gets hot, I turn it down to low heat. This will give your onions time to cook in the middle and the outside crust can stay golden brown.
- Pull onion rings out of the grease and place them on a plate with a paper towel. This will soak up the extra grease.
What Kind Of Onion Should You Use To Make Onion Rings
You may be wondering what kind of onion is best when making onion rings. This recipe is so good, that you can really use pretty much any variety. That said, I usually go with yellow onions as they tend to fry up really well. I have used other types of onions as well though and I have never had any complaints.
Did you try this Homemade Onion Rings Recipe? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram.
SIDE DISH RECIPES
Easy Mexican Street Corn on the Cob– this street corn is super easy to make in the oven or on the grill and is the perfect side dish that everyone will enjoy!
Loaded Potato Skins are a great party appetizer or just for dinner. Bacon, cheese, and potatoes are a great combo for any meal.
This recipe is so simple but so good! It doesn’t have to be a side dish to a Hawaiian luau for your family to enjoy!
Growing up the only coleslaw that ever passed by my lips was from Kentucky Fried Chicken. Don’t get me wrong, they make a mighty fine slaw but homemade is always better!