Hawaiian Macaroni Salad! Last month, we celebrated Ben’s glorious birthday dinner! If you are new to our blog, let me explain. Every year at this glorious celebration, Ben requests recipes that we have never had as a family.
It is a tradition that every child gets to decide the menu for their birthday dinner but its usually normal things that we have enjoyed before. To my surprise, we almost always love what he picks! This year, he went with a Hawaiian theme, and let’s just say there were banana leaves involved!
My Zac cooked the meat for the occasion and I was in charge of the Hawaiian macaroni salad! This recipe is so simple but so good! It doesn’t have to be a side dish to a Hawaiian luau for your family to enjoy!
- 1 lb macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cups green onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 tsp. sugar
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain well and place macaroni in a large bowl.
- While macaroni is still hot, sprinkle on vinegar and add carrot and onion. Toss together until well combined. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mayo, milk, and sugar.
- Fold mayo mixture into the macaroni until all the noodles are evenly coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours (best if overnight). Gently stir before serving adding a little more mayo if needed, no more than a tablespoon or two.
What’s the craziest meal you have made for your kid’s birthday dinner?