Broccoli Chicken Pasta Casserole
Sometimes you just don’t want to cook dinner, but you know you need to or you’ll be ordering it again. Last night we had Broccoli Chicken Pasta Casserole for dinner and it was a fun twist on the original.
We also tried to make it a little more healthy too.
I have had a hard time being motivated to make dinner lately, but if I don’t then I remember that if I don’t Matt will suggest Wendy’s. Every. Single. Time. Do you want to know why? Because he downloaded the app and can get free food. He loves coupons and free food.
Wendy’s is not very healthy and we are trying to make a lifestyle change and eat more veggies and eat out less. With a rotisserie chicken from Costco, broccoli, and whole-grain penne pasta, dinner never tasted so good!
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (I used whole-wheat penne)
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until it is al dente. About 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the boiling pasta water and stir until combined. Drain both the pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add in the stock, and stir everything together until most of the clumps are gone. Add in the milk, Dijon, salt, and pepper and stir until combined. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese until it is combined. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- In a large 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combine the cooked pasta, broccoli, onion sauce, and chicken. Toss until combined. Smooth the casserole out into an even layer.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top of the casserole, and bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty.
- Serve warm.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole is made with flour tortillas, shredded chicken, mozzarella, and enchilada sauce. Deliciousness in every bite!
This taco casserole is layers of tortilla chips, and beef, all topped with plenty of cheese and baked to perfection. Add your favorite taco fixings such as lettuce, tomato, and olives for a hearty and family-friendly meal!
Best Ever Tater Tot Casserole is a classic comfort food recipe that everyone loves! This casserole is packed full of meat, green beans, corn, soup, and cheese for a totally satisfying dinner!