This taco casserole is layers of tortilla chips, and beef, all topped with plenty of cheese and baked to perfection. Add your favorite taco fixings such as lettuce, tomato, and olives for a hearty and family-friendly meal!
I love to do taco night for dinner, but sometimes when I’m in a hurry, I just layer all the ingredients in a dish and bake them together, which is how this taco casserole came to be. This recipe has all of the components of tacos in the form of a cheesy casserole. You can even add your favorite taco fixings on top to take this dish to the next level!
On my quest to find new recipes that my family will love and easy to make! I hit a home run with this one. Lisa couldn’t leave the taco mixture alone, long enough for me to make the casserole! Yes, its that good! This is one of those casseroles that would be fun to make with your kids! They can crumble up the chips and feel like they made the dinner and you get a little quality time with your cuties!
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 pounds carne asada or stew meat (Walmart always has packages of this ready)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans, not drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a skillet, heat oil and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the meat and season with the salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the taco seasoning, beans and salsa, make sure to mix well.
- In the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish line with tortilla chips. Press down on the chips to break them into smaller pieces.
- Spread the meat mixture over the chips. Put another layer of chips and finish with the cheeses.
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Garnish with your favorite taco toppings!!