We have been having so much fun around here making fun treats. Max, my 9-year-old son, is becoming quite the little chef and this whole week is dedicated to recipes he’s made and plated entirely on his own! These Vanilla Chocolate Swirl Cupcakes are really really good! I couldn’t stop eating them, plus they’re mini, so it’s okay to eat a few…or ten.
Vanilla Chocolate Swirl Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full. 1 Tablespoon of batter per mini cupcake is perfect!
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool and frost with your favorite frosting! We made a simple vanilla frosting and a simple chocolate frosting for ours!
- Add chocolate frosting to a gallon sized zip lock bag, do the same with the vanilla.
- Cut the tips off of both bags and insert both bags, side by side, into a large piping bag, fitted with a star-shaped tip.
- Test a little on a plate before you start piping them, to make sure the chocolate and vanilla are coming out evenly. Adjust by making sure neither bag is kinked.