These Rainbow Cupcakes are made with a simple boxed white cake mix, colored, and layered to make a rainbow, with whipped cream cheese frosting on top!
Summer just screams bright colors! The other night, I met with the young women in my ward and we were working on personal progress.
The theme was tasting a rainbow of personal progress. Of course, that meant we had to have a rainbow treat! These cupcakes would be fun for any celebration and would bring a smile to the face of young and old alike.
Super moist and full of flavor, you can’t go wrong with this recipe!
1 white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
1 stick of butter, softened
1 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners into the baking pan.
- Combine all the ingredients, make sure it’s mixed well. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl and then beat for about 2 minutes.
- Divide the batter into four bowls. Use food coloring to the color batter to the desired color.
- To get a layered stripe, you’ll want to put a spoonful of each color in the cupcake one at a time. The batter is thick, so it won’t spread on its own. I used my finger to spread the batter. Make sure to do it gently.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top of the cupcake bounces back by a soft touch.
- Frosting: In a mixing bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, to achieve the right consistency.