This time of year is crazy, busy and we are all focused on getting things ready for Christmas. I’m giving you permission to take a moment and spoil yourself by having an amazing dinner or even having a date night with your sweetie! I’m not a big shrimp lover but my son Zac, loves to bring me new ideas for the blog, and I totally love that he does that. Everyone in the family that loves shrimp totally loved this dish! If you are like me, and you don’t enjoy shrimp, substitute the shrimp for chicken, and bam, you will love it too!
- Melt the butter in a large heavy pot over a medium heat. Add the flour and stir continuously to make a roux.
- Stir the roux over the medium heat until it’s the color of peanut butter, it will take 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to the roux, and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot and season with the all the seasonings listed. Cook the tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes and then whisk in the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Let cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp to the pot, stir to evenly distribute. Cook the shrimp for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they are cooked through. Add the chopped parsley to the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately over white rice and garnish with the slice green onions.