We absolutely love bread sticks at our house! Every Friday night, My Lisa is always asking for bread sticks and usually doesn’t want to share them with anyone! When Zac, suggested that we find a new way to enjoy our tasty treat and maybe it is a little more healthy, I was all for it. I can always use more veggies in my diet and so can my family and with our experimenting for the blog, I have found that cauliflower is an amazing blank canvas that can transform your favorite recipes into lower calorie masterpieces.
I was thrilled, these bread sticks are amazing and you would never know that they are made out of cauliflower! They have the texture of bread and your family will absolutely love them!
4 cups cauliflower- about 1 large head of cauliflower
2 cups mozzarella cheese
3 teaspoons oregano
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 to 2 cups mozzarella cheese- for the topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying with cooking spray or you can use parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower florets. Add the cauliflower to your food processor or blender and pulse until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Pour cauliflower into a microwave bowl and put a lid on the bowl if you have one but if you don’t, it will be fine too, you will just have to watch it. Microwave for about 10 minutes but check it because each microwave is so different. It just has to be cooked and tender.
- In a large bowl, pour cooked cauliflower, 4 eggs, 2 cups of mozzarella, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Pout the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and shape into bread sticks.
- Bake the crust for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. The will not be soggy. Once it is golden brown, sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese and put back in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Cut them into strips with your pizza cutter, and serve with your favorite marinara sauce.