Orange Cauliflower Bowl! Here in Utah, the weather can’t decide if it’s Spring or Winter! In Southern Utah, it was snowing this morning. It’s crazy!
Deep down in my soul I know it’s Spring and that makes me want to create dishes with fresh ingredients. That’s how the Orange Cauliflower bowl came to be! You won’t even miss the chicken!
It’s so crunchy and full of flavor! If you are trying to sneak veggies into your family’s diet, this will work!
- 1 cup rice
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seltzer water( we used S. Pellegrino, mineral water)
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus 1/2 cup to dredge the apples
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha, or more, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat until temperature reaches 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, seltzer, 1 1/2 cups of flour, salt and cream of tartar. Pour 1/2 cup flour into a pie tin.
- Working in batches, dip cauliflower into flour and then the egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off.
- Add cauliflower to the Dutch oven, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a large saucepan over medium low heat, combine chicken stock, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, orange zest, Sriracha, ginger and cornstarch. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in cauliflower.
- Serve immediately with rice, garnished with sesame seeds, if desired.
2 thoughts on “Easy Orange Cauliflower Bowl”
I’m always looking for great new meatless meals for my family to enjoy, and cauliflower is a particular favourite of my husband’s. I can’t wait to give this recipe a try. Sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page later today. Thank you for sharing, and for your support of the Hearth and Soul Link Party. Hope your week is going well.
A delicious bowl of goodness! Thanks for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!