Skillet Tamale Pie
Nestled under moist, buttery cornbread layer is a flavorful beef that is smothered in a zesty sauce. So easy to make and perfect on those busy nights!
We have been enjoying a lot of Mexican inspired dishes lately! My two older daughters requested street tacos for their birthday dinner and now I’m parading out this tamale pie! When something tastes so good, you have to stick with it!
I love making this dish in the skillet because it gives the cornbread such a tasty, crunchy edge.
TIPS AND TRICKS
PROTEIN: I used hamburger but go ahead and use chicken or turkey. Heck, go a little crazy and use leftover steak.
VEGGIES: This recipe calls for corn, but feel free to add zucchini, jalapenos, or olives.
TOPPINGS: This is the fun part! Top with whatever you would love on your tacos! Sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, guacamole or even a drizzle of hot sauce!
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14.5-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 19-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz corn, drained
- 1 4 oz green chiles, drained
- 2 8.5-oz. boxes corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy), plus required ingredients
- 3 c. grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400˚. Heat the vegetable oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the taco seasoning and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, paste, beans, corn and green chiles and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer.
- Prepare the corn muffin batter according to the package directions. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and dollop the corn muffin batter over the meat mixture. Spread evenly, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges of the pan so it doesn't spill over in the oven. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Place the skillet on a baking sheet and bake until the topping is golden brown and cooked through, and the cheese is melted and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Did you try our Skillet Tamale Pie recipe? What did you think? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
Chicken and Rice is one of the most beloved comfort dinners ever! We just made it even better! We used a skillet!
s steak your favorite thing to order at the restaurant? Afraid it won’t taste as good at home? If you said yes, this recipe will change your mind! It’s a quick and easy recipe for skillet steak with potatoes and carrots, that will leave your mouth watering!
This is a quick and easy way to get dinner on the table. Fluffy pillows of gnocchi are are cooked to perfection in a rich, tomato sauce, topped with fresh mozzarella.