It’s time to turn your watermelon into something new and delicious with this recipe for Lime Grilled Watermelon. Take your summer grilling to a whole new level!
Grilled watermelon? What the heck? I’ve actually been wanting to play with it for a while now. When you grill watermelon something happens that changes both the flavor and the texture into a whole new fruit.
I decided to give a lime version a try because what isn’t great with lime?
The result was something I absolutely loved. It brings out a smoky and savory quality to watermelon that I didn’t really know existed. It’s important to top it off with a little salt. Salt is magical at bringing out and enhancing flavors I’m telling you, you need to try this recipe just so you can see a whole new side of watermelon. Plus, those grill marks are beautiful, aren’t they?
Grilled Watermelon Serving Suggestions
- 1 small watermelon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated lime zest 9 1 to 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Lime wedges from zested lime, for serving
- Heat the grill to high.
- Season the watermelon. Combine the sugar, lime zest, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Sprinkle the watermelon slices on both sides with the sugar mixture, then rub the sugar mixture in to create an even coating.
- Grill the watermelon. When the grill is hot, add the watermelon slices in a single layer and grill until warmed through and grill marks appear, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve. Serve the grilled watermelon on its own with lime wedges, topped with feta cheese or Greek yogurt, or heck, make it a dessert and add a scoop of ice cream!
- Grilled watermelon is best when served immediately.
Did you try this recipe? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below!