It’s time to turn your watermelon on its head! Perfect time for you to try something new and delicious! Lime Grilled Watermelon. Take your summer grilling to a whole new level!
Grilled watermelon? What the heck? I’ve actually been wanting to play with it for a while now. I have seen pictures and it looks so pretty! I didn’t know what to expect. When you grill watermelon something happens that changes both the flavor and the texture into a whole new fruit.
I decided to give a lime version a try because what isn’t great with lime?
I absolutely loved how it turned out. It brings out a smoky and savory quality to watermelon that I didn’t really know existed. And the juice…..Remember to add the salt. Salt is magical at bringing out and enhancing flavors I’m telling you, you need to try this recipe just so you can see a whole new side of watermelon. Plus, look at those grill marks!
Grilled Watermelon Serving Suggestions
- 1 small watermelon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated lime zest 9 1 to 2 limes)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Lime wedges from zested lime, for serving
- Heat the grill to high.
- Season the watermelon. Combine the sugar, lime zest, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Sprinkle the watermelon slices on both sides with the sugar mixture, then rub the sugar mixture in to create an even coating.
- Grill the watermelon. When the grill is hot, add the watermelon slices in a single layer and grill until warmed through and grill marks appear, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serve. Serve the grilled watermelon on its own with lime wedges, topped with feta cheese or Greek yogurt, or heck, make it a dessert and add a scoop of ice cream!
- Grilled watermelon is best when served immediately.
Did you try this Grilled Watermelon recipe? Did you love it? We would love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!