Wondering if it’s possible to enjoy nachos on a keto diet? Well, that’s true. Replacing your standby crispy tortilla chips with chips you make by yourself! Turns a higher carb recipe into a keto-approved one.
With nachos, toppings are everything. Get creative and use your favorite nacho toppings. Mine are Pico de Gallo, Cilantro, and Sour Cream.
The other day, Lisa, wanted to make chips that were Keto friendly. She tried frying them in her air fryer but they were hard and lacked flavor.
My lightbulb turned on and I thought, why not deep fry the chips? We have a small deep fryer but you could do this in a pan with oil. Once the oil is hot, it only takes minutes!! They are so addicting! You will want to eat them plain!
All you need is the carb balance tortillas and oil! Cut them into your desired sizes and cook them until they are golden brown. Let them cool on a plate that has been covered with paper plates while you prepare the rest of your nacho ingredients!
Can You Eat Nachos On Keto?
Normally, I would say they aren’t ideal because they are very palatable making them easy to consume in bulk. However, these keto nachos are the perfect dinner – high in fat and protein and low in carbs!
It’s all about the toppings because no matter which way you play it, low carb tortillas, pork rinds, or bell pepper strips, the base is going to be very low carb! Some great ways to ensure you are getting in a good ratio of fat to protein.
Next, I like to add a solid layer of cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, and guacamole. Minimal carbs there, and you can even omit all veggies if you want to keep it super low carb.
- 1 batch keto tortilla chips
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 jalapeño (thinly sliced)
- Garnish: Fresh cilantro
- Prepare the tortilla chips.
- Lay the tortilla chips in a pan that is oven-proof and that you can use to serve. Use one larger pan. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Add the shredded rotisserie chicken to a skillet. Stir the taco seasoning into the chicken and turn the stove to medium heat, cook until the chicken is heated through.
- Top the tortilla chips with the chicken mixture and then the cheddar cheese. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the chips are crisped.
- While the chips are baking, prepare the queso. Add the Velveeta and diced tomatoes and green chiles to a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture is totally melted. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle the queso over the top of the baked chips and then top with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and jalapeño. Serve immediately.
Is Any Cheese Okay on the Keto Diet?
Cheese is low in carbs and high in protein, making it a popular part of the keto diet. The exact amount of carbs will vary depending on the type of cheese—cream cheese, Parmesan, and goat cheese are all low in carbs, while American cheese and cottage cheese are slightly higher in carbs and should be enjoyed in moderation.
Keto Egg Roll Bowl is a quick and easy one-pot meal, that can be ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s also amazing for meal prep because it just tastes better and better as the days go on.
Sheet Pan Crispy Parmesan Lemon Chicken is such an easy meal with crispy breaded chicken with broccoli and asparagus. This is the perfect meal for your family! We made it a keto style but it would be perfect for any diet!
Keto mac and cheese is extra cheesy and melty! This tastes so much like the real deal that I bet you won’t even miss the carbs.