Sweet Summer Corn Soup
A few fresh ingredients makes this sweet summer corn soup the star of your dinner!
Sweet summer corn Soup! A lot of you are thinking, soup in the Summer? I believe soup is the perfect meal for any season! They are easy to make and so you won’t be cooking all day! Not to mention, fresh corn makes the best soup! Take advantage of the fresh corn right now but in the Winter months you can frozen corn. Jazz it up with a little hot sauce, lime juice, or fresh herbs!
This corn soup will be on your mind all the time! It’s delicious served with garlic bread and a nice salad (try this cobb salad recipe!).
sweet summer corn soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, medium dice
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 6 large yellow potatoes (such as Yukon Gold), medium dice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- Big pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 red bell pepper for garnishing
- Heat the stock in a large pot until it comes to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer. While it’s heating, cut off the corn kernels from the cobs (cutting in a large salad bowl helps keep the kernels from flying all over). You should have about 4 1/2 cups of kernels. Place the 6 cobs in the stockpot, and simmer them covered, while you prepare the rest of the soup ingredients (for at least 20 minutes).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 3 minutes. Add the celery and garlic and sauté for another 4 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the cobs from the stockpot with tongs, and place them on a plate to cool. Add the sautéed vegetables, potatoes, 1 tsp salt, paprika, 1/4 tsp pepper, and cayenne to the pot and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, when the cooked cobs are cool enough to handle, take a sturdy knife and scrape down the sides of the cobs to collect the remainder of the kernels. This should yield about 1 cup of kernel bits.
- After the soup has cooked for 25 minutes, stir in the milk, corn kernels, and corn kernel bits. Simmer for 3 minutes. Remove 1 cup of the soup and puree it in a blender or food processor until it’s very smooth. Return the puree to the soup pot, and heat until it returns to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- While the soup simmers, hold the whole bell pepper with metal tongs over an open flame on the stovetop. Turn it frequently until the skin is charred all the way around, about 5 minutes. Remove it from the heat and let cool. Using a clean dishcloth, rub off the charred skin. Remove the stem and seeds and cut the flesh into a fine dice. Set aside.
- Turn off the heat for the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each one with some of the red bell pepper. Serve immediately.
Do you love this sweet summer corn soup recipe? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below!