CORN AND BACON CHOWDER recipe is a must make for winter! This delicious and easy corn chowder with bacon is loaded with potatoes, corn, bacon, and so much more. This warm and creamy soup is the ultimate comfort food!
I love soup! For me, it doesn’t matter if it’s cold outside or hot, I love me some soup! I will admit that it is completely a comfort food in the Winter. My favorite soups are the creamy soups in any form, in fact, I haven’t come across a soup that I didn’t love. It’s a perfect solution for a weeknight dinner or if you have a big crowd for the holidays. It will not disappoint!
Shayna requested this for her birthday dinner. We had two different soups and I was convinced that we would have leftovers but, there wasn’t any soup left after the celebration. There are so many different layers of flavor that it will delight your tastebuds, and satisfy your appetite.
- 4 ears or 4 cups of corn
- 3 tbsp butter
- 8 oz bacon , chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic clove , minced
- 1 small onion , diced
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 2 potatoes , cut into 1 cubes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup green onions,diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the corn off the cob. Keep the cobs.
- Place 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove onto a paper towel lined plate. Leave fat in pot.
- Lower heat to medium high. Add 2 tbsp butter, once melted, add garlic and onion. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and make sure they are coated. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add broth, milk, potatoes, and thyme. Break cobs into 2 or 3 and add into the liquid. Put the lid on and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove lid, remove corn cobs. Add corn and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked to your taste.
- Stir through cream and 3/4 of the bacon and green onions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with remaining bacon and green onions.