Cream of Broccoli Soup is one of our favorite quick and easy meals at any time of year! Perfect for lunch, or an easy weeknight dinner with salad and loaf of french bread. The best part is that this broccoli cheese soup is ready in 20 minutes to start to finish!
This is one of my boy’s favorite soup! When I used to take them to buy school clothes every year, we would go to Brick Oven in Provo, so they could get some Cream of Broccoli Soup! Now that Ben is grown, he whips up a batch all the time!
I know it’s getting warm outside but soup is a good choice at any time of the year and especially now that you are looking for some comfort food!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups baby carrots, cut in half
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces (2 cups) freshly-grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large head of broccoli- chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat butter in a large crockpot over medium-high heat until melted. Add onion and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent. Stir in the garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Stir in the flour and sauté for an additional 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the vegetable stock until it is evenly combined. Stir in the milk, half and half and mustard until combined. Continue cooking until the soup, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a simmer. Reduce heat to medium. Add in the broccoli and cheddar, and stir until combined. Continue cooking for 2-4 more minutes, or until the broccoli reaches your desired level of tenderness.
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra shredded cheese if desired.
Need Soup in Your Life?