Dinner time just got a whole lot tastier with this combo of two childhood favorites – sloppy joe grilled cheese sandwiches! My quick homemade sloppy joe sauce makes the best sweet and tangy beef and I’ve piled on a ton of cheese!
We love sloppy joes and we love grilled cheeses and I didn’t think combining them would be this good, but it is! I have two daughters that would request sloppy joes at least once a week. The buttery toasted bread with homemade sloppy joe mix is so yummy!
This is the absolute comfort food! You can whip this up in minutes and put smiles on everyone’s face. Perfect for a busy night or when you just need some yummy goodness!
- 2 pounds of hamburger
- 2 cans of chicken gumbo soup
- 11/2 cups ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- 1 small onion, chopped
- mild cheddar slices
- provolone cheese slices
- On a medium heat cook hamburger and onion until meat is brown.
- Drain grease off meat.
- Add soup, ketchup and mustard to meat and stir until combined.
- Turn down the heat, and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Place a clean skillet on a medium heat.
- Assemble sandwiches: Butter one side of each bread slice. Place 1 slice butter-side down in skillet and spoon over sloppy Joe mixture. Top with 2 slices of cheddar cheese, 1 slice of provolone cheese and one more slice bread, buttered-side up.
- Cook over medium heat until bread is golden and cheese is melty, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches total.
easy dinner ideas?