Quick and Easy Baked Cinnamon Apple French Toast Casserole you can make the day before and refrigerate overnight so it’s ready to bake and enjoy in the morning.
Nothing makes you feel more at home and happy like a breakfast casserole just waiting in your fridge to be baked! With all the work taken care of the night before, you can dance into the kitchen in your favorite leggings and pop this bad boy into the oven. The smell will be so joyful!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large green apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf brioche bread, cubed
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 12 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and cook, stirring often, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; continue cooking until sugar has dissolved, about 1-2 minutes. Let cool.
- Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place a layer of bread cubes evenly into the baking dish. Top with cream cheese and half the apple mixture in an even layer. Top with remaining bread cubes and remaining apple mixture.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Pour mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove baking dish from the refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds; place into oven and bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover; continue to bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and center is firm.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired.