My family knows that when we go out to eat, I will order a Chicken Fried Steak! It goes without saying that it’s delicious but it’s my out to eat the go-to meal! It’s not just the steak but it’s the gravy! I really can’t believe that I haven’t made this for the blog before. It’s a crying shame! lol!
This is a quick meal! You can get all the homework, sports practices, and errands done and still have time to make this dish for dinner. Can anyone tell me why they call this Chicken Fried Steak when it’s made with beef? Still my favorite!!!
Chicken Fried Steak
Chicken Fried Steak:
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that’s been extra tenderized)
salt and pepper, to season meat
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
Mashed potatoes, for serving
- For the steak: Begin with setting up an assembly line of dishes. Mix the milk with the eggs in one; the flour mixed with the seasoned salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, and paprika in another; and the meat in a third. Then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.
- Work with one piece of meat at a time. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and black pepper, then place it in the flour mixture. Turn to coat. Place the meat into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Finally, place it back in the flour and turn to coat (dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture). Place the breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with the remaining meat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop-in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it’s sufficiently hot. Cook the meat, 3 pieces at a time, until the edges start to look golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Remove the meat to a paper towel-lined plate and keep them warm by covering lightly with another plate or a sheet of foil. Repeat until all the meat is cooked.
- After all the meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the skillet, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add butter and let melt. Add 1/4 cup of the grease back to the skillet and allow it to heat up.
- For the gravy: When the grease is hot, sprinkle the flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix the flour with the grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Add more flour if it looks overly greasy; add a little more grease if it becomes too pasty/clumpy. Keep cooking until the roux reaches a deep golden brown color.
- Pour in the milk, and cream whisking constantly. Add the seasoned salt and black pepper to taste and cook, whisking until the gravy is smooth and thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.
- Serve the meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes. Pour gravy over the whole dang thing!
5 thoughts on “Delicious Chicken Fried Steak”
The certain seasonings and sauce will make any dish more refined. The chicken steak is no exception. The pleasant spicy flavor will delight anyone.
Those photos are making me hungry! There’s nothing quite so satisfying as chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and gravy!
I totally agree!
My hubby would love this recipe! Thanks for linking this post to our #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty 36
Thanks for stopping by!