Can you believe it’s almost the 4th of July? It seems like this month has just flown by! Why is it when I start seeing all the red, white, and blue posts, I get so excited? I guess it just makes you proud to be an American!
Poke cakes are so much fun! They are always full surprise flavor that it’s sure to please any crowd!
This sweet thing starts with a cake and then introduced to a rainbow of Jello! You can either use your favorite white cake recipe and make it from scratch or grab a cake mix. Once the cake is made and completely cool, use the handle of a wooden spoon or straw and poke holes all over the surface of the cake!
Now, mix up the box of blue Jell-O and a box of red Jell-O. Make sure to use 1/2 cup less cold water when preparing the Jell-O for the poke cake.
When adding the Jell-O to the cake, use a spoon to make it easier to direct the Jell-O, so you can get it where you want it to go! It might look too wet but it will look so much better after it’s been in the fridge for a few hours! Then you can add all the rest of its goodies!
- One white cake mix + ingredients to prepare it
- One 3 oz. box of Berry Blue Jell-o
- One 3 oz. box of Strawberry Jell-o
- One 8 oz. tub of whipped topping thawed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- red and blue fruit for garnish
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and allow cake to cool completely.
- Using a straw or the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the surface of the cake.
- Prepare each box of Jell-o using 1 cup of boiling water + 1/2 cup of cold water. (This is 1/2 cup less cold water than what is called for on package instructions.)
- Carefully pour or spoon the blue Jell-o over a portion of the cake. Take care to get the liquid into the holes.
- Carefully pour or spoon the red Jell-o over the rest of cake. Take care to get the liquid into the holes.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 3-4 hours or overnight - this allows the Jell-o to set up within the cake.
- In a small bowl, combine the whipped topping, powder sugar, and sour cream. Whip until creamy and smooth.
- Top cake with frosting and then decorate with fresh fruit.
- Cut and serve!
- Refrigerate any leftover cake.
POKE CAKE RECIPES