Texas Turtle Sheet Cake with a Utah Twist
Texas Turtle Sheet Cake with a Utah Twist! I love to explore recipes from different parts of the country. Usually, if you find several posts of the same recipe, it must be good, right? Well, this is the case with Texas sheet cake. I can see how it’s a favorite it has everything yummy plus the kitchen sink!
The only thing that I had an issue with was that one of the ingredients was coffee. I don’t drink coffee and I don’t really love the flavor, so I decided to give this recipe a little Utah twist.
If you are a coffee lover or not, you will love this recipe! The cake is so moist and delicious on its own but then you add all the goodies and you have taken it to the heavenly level!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup caramel sauce, to drizzle
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour the pan. In a large bowl, combine self-rising flour and granulated sugar. Set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup butter, 1 cup water, and 1/3 cup cocoa. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour into the prepared dry ingredients. Mix until wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add eggs and the 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Mix on medium speed for another minute or so, until well combined.
- 3. Pour into baking pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes. When cake is done baking, a toothpick or fork inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- 4. Prepare the frosting. In a medium saucepan, combine 1/4 cup butter, 4 tablespoons buttermilk, and 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 5. Remove from heat and use a wire whisk to gradually mix in powdered sugar, a 1/2 cup at a time.
- 6. Spread or pour the warm frosting over the cake. While the cake is still warm, sprinkle with chopped pecans, and chocolate chips. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
1 thought on “Texas Turtle Sheet Cake with a Utah Twist”
A great blend of Texas and Utah what a great cake, it looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!