My husband LOVES banana cake, it’s his favorite!!! When he was little, Mrs. Braithwaite would come and cook dinner while his mom was working full time. One of his best memories was when she would make her delicious banana cake.
So, its been really hard to find a cake that could match the level of excellence of Mrs. Braithwaite’s cake. I think I did it!!! This cake is so moist and full of flavor, seriously, you can’t stop eating it! The cream cheese icing puts it over the top.
I haven’t made this recipe for a while and just last week I made it for my hubby’s birthday again! You know a recipe is good when certain family members that normally don’t take anything home with them suddenly wants a piece of this for later! Trust me, you won’t have any left for later!
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
4 mashed bananas, really ripe ones
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan. Mix mashed bananas with lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add vanilla. Add banana mixture and buttermilk and combine well.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat in the flour mixture into banana mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place directly into the freezer,(unless it’s a glass pan)for about 45 minutes. This will make the cake moist.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 to 4 cups powder sugar
- Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the vanilla. Add the powder sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
I hope you like this cake as much as we do!!!!