Strawberries are popping up all over the grocery store shelves, and it’s a reminder to me that two of my girl’s birthdays are coming up soon. Cassie’s birthday is in May and we have always had a birthday dinner for each of our kids.
When Cassie was in high school she discovered that she loved chocolate-covered strawberries, and that was the end of birthday cakes for her! When I saw all the strawberries it reminded me of my girl and I thought ” why not make chocolate-covered strawberry brownies”? I’m so glad I did!
I made these last night for Sunday dinner, and by the time I had gone into the other room to take a picture, they were all gone! Ben decided we needed to make these for our annual Labor Day vacation! Needless to say, they were a hit!
- 1 cup 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into slices
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton fresh strawberries, cut into quarters
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the chocolate chips and butter. Melt in microwave. Depending how hot your microwave gets will depend on how long. My microwave is hot so I do it for about 1 minute and then stir until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa, and then set aside.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and baking powder. Add the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, and then stir in the flour until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread into the corners and make it level. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- When brownies are cooled, cover the top with the cut strawberries evenly. Melt the chocolate chips the same way as before. Pour over the top and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour for the chocolate to set.