Malted Chocolate Cake
Malted Chocolate Cake! The past week, I have to get everything ready for our family Easter egg hunt at my mother-in-laws. Looking at the bright colors has made so excited for this holiday! This is how this cake, malted chocolate cake, became to be!
Yesterday, was Zac’s birthday celebration and the family was coming for dinner. Zac’s dessert choice for the past 2 years has been blackberries and for some reason, I always think he is telling me he wants blueberries! I know, I have issues. I had decided to make this cake for the rest of us that don’t make such healthy choices, and I’m so glad I did! Maybe my son will forgive me because it was so good!
The cake is so moist and is a chocolate lovers dream! The cake was almost completely gone because it’s that good!
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup malted milk powder ( you can find it by the instant breakfast or Amazon)
- 1 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 16 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- BIRD NEST
- Thin rice noodles
- melting chocolate
- malted eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2, 9 inch cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add the milk mixture, oil and eggs to the flour mixture. Combine on a medium speed with mixer until smooth. Add the sour cream and vanilla, mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until the middle of the cake springs back. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and cocoa powder until creamy. In a bowl, combine the cream and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add the cream mixture to the butter, once it's blended, add the powdered sugar gradually until smooth. Frost the cake.
- Heat the cream in a microwavable container and heat until it just begins to simmer. In my microwave it took only 1 minute. Pour chocolate chips in the cream and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir the chocolate mixture until its smooth. Pour over the top of the cake, after the cake has been frosted. Place the cake in the fridge and let cool so the ganache can set up.
- BIRD NEST
- In a microwave bowl, warm chocolate in microwave 1 minute at a time, stirring in between until it's melted.
- In a small bowl, line it with plastic wrap. Dip the rice noodles in the melted chocolate and then letting the excess chocolate to drip off. Using your hands, arrange the noodles in the prepared bowl, to form the nest. Let dry, and then remove nest from the bowl and taking off the plastic wrap. Place on cake and fill with the malted eggs.
Haden loved it so much that he turned into a chocolate monster!
19 thoughts on “Delicious Malted Chocolate Cake”
Gorgeous cake!!! I love all things chocolate and cake so this cake is already a winner. I love how you decorated it for Easter! So cute!
aw..thank you! You just made my day!
Oh that looks so yummy and cute and the little one covered in chocolate is adorable.
I’d probably look like this little guy when I finished eating it also. This cake looks fantastic!
Such a beautiful cake for Easter and so delicious too! Sharing on the Hearth and Soul Facebook page. Thank you for sharing this post with us. Love the photo of your little one!
Your little guy is adorable! I love your Malted Chocolate Cake and the nest on top is very special! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
This looks delicious! The next time we have guests over, this will definitely be on the menu!
Yummy looking cake & that cake loving baby is adorable! Thanks for sharing at the #InspirationSpotlight @DearCreatives Pinned & shared. Always love to see what you girls are up to. 😉
Oh my gosh. This may be one of my all time fave desserts you’ve shared. Featuring when my party opens up !
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us at Funtastic Friday link party.
I’ll be stealing the nest idea, for sure! So sweet 🙂
What a sweet photo of little Hayden! It looks like he really enjoyed this cake, and no wonder! I love the malted flavour you have added, and your cake looks just beautiful with that pretty egg nest. Thank you so much for sharing, and for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party.
YUM, looks good and cute with the nest!!