One of my husband’s favorite kind of cake is carrot, and if you have been following along, you about my love affair with caramel! This is a perfect combination of both of our loves, caramel carrot cake!
I was so excited about how this cake turned out! It is sooooo moist and so full of flavor! My husband could not stop eating this cake!
This is a perfect cake for Fall!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups grated carrots
- caramel topping
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 8 ounce whipped cream cheese
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Add the applesauce and sour cream.
- In a different bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Combine butter mixture with the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Stir in the grated carrots.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the cakes from the pans and then let completely cool.
- Spread half the frosting on the bottom layer of the cake. Sprinkle a handful of nuts and drizzled caramel over the top. Add the top layer, and spread the remaining frosting on top. Drizzle the caramel on top and sprinkle the rest of the nuts on top.
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, applesauce, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mix in the powdered sugar, if you want it thicker, add more powdered sugar.