Fresh Corn Chowder! The corn stands are starting to pop up all over town, and fresh corn screams Summer! One of my all-time favorite meals is cream peas and potatoes. This got me thinking, “why not do something similar but with corn”? That’s why we made fresh corn chowder!
My husband was afraid that it would be too hot to eat chowder but it turned out to be just what the doctor ordered! You can really taste the fresh corn flavor and it leaves you wanting more!
Fresh Corn Chowder
8 ears fresh corn, husked and silks removed, kernels cut off the cob
4 Tablespoons butter
7 slices of bacon, cut into pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups water boiled with cobs
3 to 4 potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoons honey
green onions, diced for garnish
cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish
- In a heavy, large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion, garlic, and bacon pieces, and cook until the onion is softened. Stir constantly. Add the flour, making sure to coat the onions.
- In the meantime, in a different pan, add the 5 cups of water and the fresh cobs. Bring to a boil, letting the extra kernels flavor the water. This will give your chowder a stronger corn flavor.
- While whisking, slowly pour in the 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then stir in the corn kernels, and the potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Combine the whipping cream and honey to the chowder. Garnish with green onions and cheese! Enjoy!
1 thought on “Fresh Corn Chowder”
This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe 🙂
Edye | http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com