When I was little I loved cracker jack popcorn. It was so yummy and it was so fun to get the prize at the bottom of the box. Last week, my mother in law needed to take a treat to her DUP club and I volunteered to help her get it ready. She has the best popcorn recipe that tastes just like cracker jack. The woman just loved it and it’s a perfect treat for Fall! You can make it for a Halloween party, football game or watching a chick flick. You will be in heaven!
2 bags of microwave popcorn, popped
1/2 cup corn syrup
2 sticks of butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup peanuts
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees and line 2 cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix your popcorn and peanuts and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter on a medium heat. Add the corn syrup, brown sugar, and salt. Mix well and boil for 5 minutes while stirring continually.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add the vanilla and soda, mix completely. Pour caramel mixture over the popcorn and keep stirring until the popcorn is coated.
- Evenly pour the popcorn onto the cookie sheets, and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- When you remove it from the oven, pull the parchment paper onto the cupboard with the popcorn still on it. Gently spread out the popcorn so it won’t stick together.