CARAMEL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – A layer of caramel sauce is sandwiched between layers of chocolate chip cookie dough.
Every August, my husband’s extended family has a reunion at the city pool. My girls can’t wait each year because we have the whole pool to ourselves! What’s a party without food? It seems like every Saturday is so busy lately.
I had the best intentions of getting my treat ready early but life just got in the way! When I finally had time to prepare this yummy goodness, I realized that it needed to chill for a while before it could be served. To make a long story short, I wasn’t able to take this to the reunion but my neighbors received delicious treats the next day.
The best part of the story….. I gave my husband my phone to hold so I wouldn’t get it wet because we decided we weren’t going to swim. My husband always gets thrown in the pool but we thought he was safe because our son Zac wasn’t at the party and he is usually the instigator.
I turned my head for one moment, and sure enough, Mike had been pushed in the pool by his cute teenage cousins! Yes, I was so frustrated because this meant I was going to have to get a new phone but felt so blessed that I’m married to a man that people love and feel comfortable enough to tease!
Back to the recipe, if you are a caramel lover, like me, you will have to give these bad boys away because they are so addicting!
Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
3/4 butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup whole rolled old fashioned oats- not instant
1 teaspoon baking soda
11-ounce bag of caramel squares
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large pan, melt butter completely, and remove pan. Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, oats, baking soda, and stir until combined. This mixture will be thick.
- Smooth out half of the mixture into the prepared pan, and smooth it with a spatula. Make sure it’s flat and set aside the rest of the batter. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels, cream, and heat on high power for 1 minute. Remove and stir and repeat steps until the caramel sauce is smooth. Set aside.
- Remove a bottom layer from the oven after 10 minutes, and sprinkle the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips evenly on top.
- Slowly pour caramel sauce over the chips, making sure it covers evenly.
- With your fingers, crumble the rest of the batter over the top. Return pan to the oven and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove pan from the oven. Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan before slicing. The caramel needs a while to set up. Let it sit for 2 to 4 hours.
COOKIE BAR RECIPES