This is one of our family’s all-time favorite meals. You can pretty much spin it or mix it up however you like with different cheeses and sauces, but this is one of our favorite combos.
I cheat by not rolling them individually. Instead, I treat it like a lasagna, which I think makes it faster and easier. Start by browning your chicken, garlic, and onion in a heavy skillet until brown.
While the chicken is browning, mix your cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, green onions, garlic powder, and salt together in a mixer.
Now get your casserole dish ready by spraying it with cooking spray. Layer in about a 1/2 cup of green chile enchilada sauce in the bottom.
Spread tortillas out on top of the enchilada sauce and top with cheese mixture.
Repeat until all of your sauce and cheese mixtures is gone. Cover with remaining sauce and a sprinkle of cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes, or until it’s bubbling around the sides and the cheese is melted.
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole (Printable Recipe)
- 1 lb of the chicken tenders, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and chopped
- 1 T of oil
- 1 large can of Green Chile Enchilada Sauce (28 ounces)
- 1 brick of cream cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 3 cups of your favorite cheese, we used Monterey Jack
- 1 T of garlic powder
- 1 cup of green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp of salt
- pepper to taste
- Corn or flour tortillas. We used 1 1/2 small packages of corn tortillas.
- 1/2 cup of cheese to top the casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a casserole dish, set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add chopped onion and chicken and cook thoroughly. The last couple minutes add the garlic and remove from heat when fragrant.
- While chicken is cooking, mix sour cream, cream cheese, 3 cups of cheese, garlic powder, green onions, salt and pepper in a mixer, or by hand.
- Pour 1/2 cup of Green Chile Enchilada Sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer with tortillas, cheese mixture, chicken, and another 1/2 cup of sauce.
- Repeat step 4 until you run out of ingredients.
- Top with remaining tortillas, sauce, and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling.
- Let rest for 15 minutes, to allow casserole to set up.
- Garnish with sour cream, salsa, and green onions. Enjoy!