When I was in elementary school they would give us spinach and we had to eat it before we could out to recess. We all would stuff it in our milk carton and go on our merry way! It has taken a few years for me to appreciate spinach because of this.
It was my son’s Zac’s birthday a couple weeks ago and it’s tradition at our house for the birthday person to pick what they want for their special dinner. I always tease that Zac is my favorite because he came three weeks early! He loves to try new things and he knows that I’m always trying to come up with new ideas for the blog, so he tries to help. Again, he trying to take care of his mom! so when Zac told me he wanted cream spinach, I wasn’t so sure I was going to love it but you know what??? This is so amazing! We all loved it!!!!
Ingredients: Click to print
3 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup half and half
A pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup low fat sour cream or Greek plain yogurt
2 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons onions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup water
20 ounces frozen spinach. drained and chopped
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper then sauté in butter for about 2 minutes but do not brown.
- Whisk in the flour and salt until creamed together and smooth. Stir in the half and half, slowly.
- Increase heat to a medium heat and constantly whisk until becomes thick and smooth. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Place 2 Tablespoons butter in saucepan over a medium heat; add the minced onion and cook until transparent.
- Stir several time until the spinach is cooked.
- Add the prepared white sauce, sour cream and cheese. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.