Beef and Wild Rice Soup
This Beef and Wild Rice Soup recipe will become a family favorite – and it’s definitely one of mine! It’s creamy and flavorful loaded with juicy beef, hearty wild rice, carrots, celery, onion and garlic for a symphony of goodness in every bite.
This recipe is so versatile and you probably have a lot of the ingredients in your kitchen right now! You can swap the wild rice for brown rice, and the veggies for your favorites. This Creamy beef and wild rice Soup also reheats beautifully for make ahead dinner or lunches!
Today, I’m so excited to bring you my obsession of beef and wild rice in a soup form! You will be licking the bowl!
WHAT IS WILD RICE?
The excellent texture of wild rice is in large part due to the fact that wild rice actually isn’t rice at all. Even though it may look like long-grain rice with a brownish-blackish color, it is actually a highly nutritious grain of grass. Wild rice comes from the seed of long-grain aquatic marsh grass that grows in the shallow waters of lakes, rivers, and bays indigenous to North America; this is considered “true” wild rice. Today, however, the vast majority of the wild rice sold in the United States is cultivated in controlled fields similar to rice paddies.
IS WILD RICE HEALTHY?
Wild rice boasts about 30% fewer calories than brown rice and 40% more protein so it’s healthier than both white and brown rice. Wild rice also boasts impressive amounts of antioxidants, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc. In fact, it has up to 30 times greater antioxidants than white rice.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT RICE?
You can use whatever rice you have on hand for this Chicken and Rice soup recipe but expect different flavors.
CAN I USE LEFTOVER RICE?
Yes! Because you are using leftover rice, you only need to simmer the soup for 5 minutes after you add the half and half. Add any leftover cooked rice with the peas at the very end of cooking and warm through. Alternatively, add the rice to individual servings if you expect leftovers.
Beef and Wild Rice Soup ingredients
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak or leftover roast beef, sliced into bite-size strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
Beef and Wild Rice Soup directions
- Heat oil in a 5.5 quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium high until sizzled, about 1 minute. Add beef and sauté until browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside on a plate. You can also use leftover roast beef (sear until warm and browned on all sides).
- In the same pot, add butter and melt over medium high until it starts to bubble, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, broth, lemon juice and rice and mix well until evenly combined. Bring the soup to a boil, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover with the lid, and let the soup simmer until the rice is cooked and tender, about 40-45 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more beef broth if you like the soup a bit thinner.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Beef and Wild Rice Soup notes
Store leftover soup by covering the pot with foil or in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
This soup freezes well. You can put it in individual-sized meal prep containers or freezer bags. When ready to reheat, defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
You can skip the heavy cream in this recipe and experience a completely different soup. It’s totally up to you!
Did you try our Beef and Wild Rice Soup? What did you think? We would love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below or tag us on Instagram!
more delicious soup recipes
White lasagna soup is a thick and creamy soup version of this classic Italian dish. Chicken is added to a warm, creamy, and cheesy broth along with lasagna noodles and spinach. It’s the perfect meal for when you craving hearty and comforting chicken soup for the soul. The best part? It’s quick and easy to make, meaning you can satisfy your cravings in just 30 minutes.
This easy BEST CREAMY PARMESAN TOMATO SOUP RECIPE is loaded with veggies and can be prepared on the stovetop or in the crockpot. Simple, healthy, and delicious recipe!
This Pasta e Fagioli Soup is a hearty, one-pot soup inspired by Olive Garden. It’s bursting with beans, veggies, noodles, and sausage, this classic Italian soup is sure to win you over. It goes perfect with Quick Italian Rolls and you have a very satisfying meal.