Twice Baked Honey Cupcakes are a different kinds of cupcakes, and even better with a cream cheese frosting!
To end this week of cupcake recipes is one that has a little more of a sophisticated flavor. A combination that I would not normally do.
These twice-baked honey cupcakes are based on the honey cakes from Lord of the Rings. We had a Lord of the Rings themed baby shower and tried to stay true to the theme, then we added the cream cheese frosting and a Biscoff topping that I didn’t get a picture of.
You will like these cupcakes, give them a try! This makes 12 cupcakes!
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature (plus about 3 TBSP for greasing muffin pans)
- zest 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup high-quality honey + 1/4 cup honey for drizzling on top
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons of softened butter
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cornstarch, nutmeg, and lemon zest.
- Using a fork, or very clean fingers, mix in the room temperature butter to the flour mixture until it looks like a sandy/gravel mixture. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, honey, and vanilla.
- Pour the liquids over the dry mixture and combine until just combined – do not over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into 12 cupcake liners – it will be between 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup of batter each.
- Bake for 16 minutes, or until mostly done but not quite golden enough.
- Remove from the muffin pan (Be super careful, it’s hot!) and place the muffins on a Silpat lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Warm the remaining 1/4 cup honey in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Using a silicone pastry brush, coat the tops of the cakes with the honey (it’s ok for it to drip down the sides). Allow sitting for about 5 minutes to let the honey soak into the cakes.
- Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the cakes are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While they cool, mix together the frosting ingredients until smooth. Then frost the cupcakes.