Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
This peri peri chicken recipe smothers chicken in a homemade peri peri sauce then bakes or grills them and serves them with extra sauce. It’s a quick and easy weeknight meal.
I always love it when I get a Facebook message from my son, Zac, because it usually means he has found something new that he wants to try to master and that means mom benefits! Zac is one of a kind, he is curious about everything and wants to learn about everything!
We were talking last night about some of his latest projects that include cooking, making a paddleboard, a beef jerky box and now we are going to try to grow the biggest pumpkin ever!
When Zac was attending college, he had the opportunity to travel because of the different programs he was involved with, and because of this we have tried recipes, I never knew existed. This is so good and the chicken is so moist! There is a little kick to the sauce but you can decide how much you want.
peri peri chicken recipe
1 cup of olive oil
2 red peppers, chopped
10 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup white vinegar
juice from 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons lemon pepper
2 Tablespoons oregano
4 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
peri peri sauce or hot sauce
- In a skillet, mix together all the ingredients and then let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and blitz until it’s creamy and it turns a bright orange.
- Add favorite hot sauce to taste and desire heat level.
- In a large bowl, place the chicken pieces. Pour about 1/3 of the sauce onto the chicken, cover bowl, and place it in the fridge. Let marinate for about 3 hours.
- BAKE METHOD: When it’s time to cook, preheat oven to 2oo degrees and place the chicken onto a broiler pan. Cook for 30 minutes. At that time, turn it down to 180 degrees and cook for 15 to 20 minutes more.
- GRILLING: Fire up the grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grates. Grill the chicken legs for about 35-40 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes to keep from burning, until they are cooked through. They should measure 165 degrees F internally.
- After plating the chicken, drizzle the remaining sauce on top of the chicken. If you want you can add more hot sauce for more heat.