Braised Chicken with Tomatoes
Braised Chicken with Tomatoes! The more that I try to cook healthily the more I love it! I think we all get into a rut. We cook the recipes that have been passed down from our moms and grandmas.
I know, they can be the best recipes ever but sometimes we need to branch out and when we do, we find new treasures! That is what happened with this recipe. The chicken cooks until it’s fork-tender, which is great served with pasta, noodles, spaghetti squash, or polenta.
Eating healthy never tasted so good! This is an inexpensive dish the whole family will love!
- 10 chicken thighs on the bone, 5 oz each
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Imported crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- Lightly season the chicken with salt and fresh pepper. Place a Dutch Oven or large heavy pot on medium-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, when hot add the chicken and sear until browned on all sides, about 6-7 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a dish and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté garlic and onions,and red pepper in remaining oil; sauté until golden, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add celery and carrots and saute on medium-low for about 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the vinegar and chicken broth, scraping any caramelized bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add tomatoes, marjoram, reduce heat to low, adjust salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, partially cover and cook slowly on low heat for another 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding water if needed.