Roasted Chicken, Rice and Caramelized Onions Recipe
Roasted Chicken, Rice, and Caramelized Onions Recipe! Our family LOVES to cook! My kids all love to get involved with cooking every meal and I think that’s one of the main reasons they really love almost all foods…Except for tomatoes…they HATE tomatoes… That’s beside the point though.
They really loved this Roasted Chicken with Uncle Ben’s Roasted Chicken Rice and Caramelized onions and, lucky for me, I had two cute little helpers tonight!
Prep your meal by cutting the bones out of the chicken thighs with kitchen shears. It’s not hard to do, and it doesn’t have to be perfect, it just makes it easier to flatten the chicken, and the chicken cooks faster. Pop the bones into the freezer and use them to make chicken stock in the crockpot later!
After cutting the bones out of the chicken thighs, sprinkle them with salt and pepper and place them skin side down in a piping hot cast-iron skillet with a little oil in the bottom. DON’T move them at all for 6 minutes, this helps the skin get all crispy and brown and delicious!! Flip the chicken and then let them cook for another 4 minutes, or until they’re cooked all the way through.
Pull the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside. Get rid of most of the grease from the chicken and throw in 3 medium-sized sliced onions. Sprinkle them with a little salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic salt. Turn down the skillet and let the onions caramelize.
This will take some time. Don’t hurry it, because you don’t want them to burn. Add butter or oil as needed, if the pan starts looking dry or the onions start sticking to the bottom. When they’re brown, toss in some garlic and let it simmer until it starts to smell delicious. Then pour in 1/4 cup of red cooking wine.
Put the chicken back in the skillet and let it roast in the oven for about 10 minutes at 375 degrees. The skin is already crispy, we’re just warming it all through now!
When the chicken is warmed through and the onions are bubbling, get your rice ready! Lucky for you, Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice only takes 90 seconds in the microwave to prepare! Just heat and serve! My kids LOVE rice, so they were super excited that it was on the menu tonight. Even the baby liked the rice.
The rest is easy, just put your delicious chicken on top of your caramelized onions and Uncle Ben’s Roasted Chicken Ready Rice.
- 1 T cooking oil, we used avocado
- 6 chicken thighs, bone removed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 T butter
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red cooking wine
- 2 bags of Uncle Ben's Roasted Chicken Ready Rice
- Heat a cast iron skillet with oil to high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place skin side down in the skillet.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until the skin is crispy.
- Flip over and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Drain all fat dripping and oil from the pan except 2 T.
- Toss in sliced onions, butter, salt and pepper, and thyme, turn down heat to medium and allow onions to brown slowly.
- When onions are soft, add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add in red cooking wine.
- Place chicken back into pan and place the whole skillet into the oven at 375 for 10 minutes to re-heat the chicken and thicken sauce,
- Serve over Uncle Ben's Roasted Chicken Ready Rice.
1 thought on “Roasted Chicken, Rice and Caramelized Onions Recipe”
What a delicious, family-friendly dish! Love how you’ve used the Uncle Ben’s Rice, and the recipe sounds so tasty. You really did have some cute little helpers 🙂 Thank you for sharing this post with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop. Scheduled to pin.