A great quick dinner idea! When I was little my mom always loved biscuits and gravy and I can’t say that I agreed with her.
I don’t love sausage. Well, this was a good twist it kind of tastes a little like a pot pie with a twist.
I’ve been on a casserole kick this last month or so because it’s easy cleanup and quick to make! Matt really liked this casserole and so did I!! Give it a try!
Ingredients Click to Print
1 medium to large rotisserie chicken
7 tablespoons of butter
1 medium onion finely chopped
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cups milk
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can biscuits
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish. Pull the meat off the chicken, shredding it with your fingers or a fork into a medium baking dish.
2. In a large skillet, melt 5 tablespoons of butter over high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 6 minutes.
3. Lower heat to medium, sprinkle flour into the skillet and cook, constantly stirring for about 1 minute. Then add chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring until thickened.
4. Stir in 2/3 cup of milk and simmer for 1 minute more. Remove the skilled from the heat and add the lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the gravy over the chicken in the baking dish.
5. Melt the remaining butter with the garlic.
6. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the gravy. Then lay the biscuits on top of the cheese. The first time I did this recipe I got the Pillsbury Grande Flakey biscuits because they are my favorite, but they are too thick. You need the thinner and smaller biscuits. Brush the garlic butter on the tops of the biscuits and then back in the oven for about 25 minutes. Until the biscuits are cooked through and golden brown.
7. Enjoy! Cassie!