Pina Colada Cupcakes
The story continues….. If you read my post from this morning, the reason for all the tropical cupcakes is that my Andie went to Sadie’s dance and my assignment was cupcakes!!
Both cupcakes were so good but this one was above and beyond heavenly! I had a few extras leftovers so I took four to my in-laws. My mother-in-law told me that her intent was to only eat one cupcake that night but when she found out that my father-in-law had eaten two, she had to eat both of hers.
You can take these to your holiday parties, everyone needs a little variety in their lives!
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 sticks of butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups canned pineapple- drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until well combined. Add the butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the pineapple and sour cream and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and blend until combined and smooth. Fill cupcakes to 2/3 full and bake for about 22 minutes or until the cupcake bounces back by a soft touch of the finger. Cool completely.
1 stick of butter, softened
8 ounces whipped cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, coconut extract, heavy cream, and powdered sugar. Blend on a low speed until completely smooth.
- You can frost cupcakes by using a pastry bag or a butter knife, both ways you will have a fabulous cupcake!
- To garnish, you can add maraschino cherries and small slices of fresh pineapple. For the finishing touch add some toasted coconut.
- To toast coconut: Lay about a cup of flaked coconut onto a baking sheet and cook on broil. I leave the oven door cracked so I can watch how brown it’s getting, it goes fast!