Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Well, you are probably thinking “why are the Lou Lou Girls putting coconut lime cupcakes on their blog in November?” Welcome to my crazy, wonderful life! Last Friday was Sadie’s dance for my Andie and the theme was Hawaiian Luau. Andie volunteered me to make cupcakes for her date group.
Funny story, I asked Andie when she needed the cupcakes all week and like most teenagers, she told me that she didn’t know and she would let me know. On the day of the dance, she called me from school, (while she was in her sister’s anatomy class) to tell me that she needed them after school!
First, her sister almost killed her for using her phone in class and promptly took the phone away, and then I had to tell her that she wouldn’t be able to have them until her date group was at the home of the dinner was being hosted. She was fine with it all and realized that she had a blonde moment and apologized to her sister.
I’m hoping that all you cute people need a break from all those delicious pumpkin and apple recipes floating around the internet and your life is as random as mine! They are seriously so good and would be a great addition to any holiday gathering this season!
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, softened
lime zest from 1 lime
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon coconut extract
3/4 cup coconut milk- from the can
8 ounce whipped cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup toasted coconut ( I toast mine on a baking sheet with the oven on broil. Leave the door partially open, so you can monitor it because it will brown quickly)
fresh limes, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line the cupcake pan with liners, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a different bowl, combine the eggs, and sugar. Then add the butter, lime zest, and juice, coconut extract, and coconut milk.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fill each cup to 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes to 17 minutes or until the cupcake springs back when you lightly touch them. Cool completely.
- Frosting: In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter. Then add the coconut extract and powdered sugar and mix until well combined. If you want the frosting stiffer, add 1/4 cup more powdered sugar until you get your desired consistency.
- I use a pastry bag to put the frosting on my cupcakes but you can also use a butter knife if you don’t have a pastry bag. Sprinkle the cupcakes with the toasted coconut and garnish with the wedge of lime.